RE: st: RE: RE: what does it mean the default for -mfx- is discrete when it is evaluated at the mean?

Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: what does it mean the default for -mfx- is discrete when it is evaluated at the mean?
Date   Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:16:04 +0200

<>

You can try all of this yourself. As long as you use default settings (first
loop below), Stata treats the dummy covariate as a discrete variable, in
accordance with intuition, and the point at which you evaluate it does not
change the marginal effects. It is only when you tell it to treat the dummy
as a continuous variable (second loop) that the marginal effect changes. The
other covariates are held at their mean throughout, btw.

***********
sysuse auto, clear
gen byte dummy=rep78<4
logit  foreign gear_ratio turn length dummy
forv i=.1(.4).9{
mfx compute, varlist(dummy gear_ratio) dydx at(mean dummy=`i')
}
forv i=.1(.4).9{
mfx compute, varlist(dummy gear_ratio) dydx at(mean dummy=`i') nodisc
}

HTH
Martin