st: Re: your Stata exectuable is out of date

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: your Stata exectuable is out of date
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 15:17:27 +0200

<>

The problem of executable and ado-files getting out of sync happens
quite often. We have seen it on Statalist several times, and I have
encountered it over and over again in questions from colleagues. I was
even bitten by the problem in the middle of a course, when the
administrator of the computer pool run an ado update during the lecture.

In these cases I always thought that problem should be made impossible.
It might be sensible to automatically run -update exe- and -update swap-
before -update ado- whenever a new executable is available.

What are the advantages to let users update ados without updateing the
exe if updates for the exe exist?

Uli