AW: st: calculating Fishers exact test and recording output for multiple two by two tables at once

Subject   AW: st: calculating Fishers exact test and recording output for multiple two by two tables at once
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 09:09:33 +0200

<>

"Perhaps the easiest way to do this is with -statsby-."

Re -statsby-, also see Nick`s recent column at
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=gr0045.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Phil Schumm
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Mai 2010 01:13
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: calculating Fishers exact test and recording output for

On May 17, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Michael Walsh wrote:
> I would like to calculate a two-sided Fisher's exact test for many
> studies in one data set and record the test value in a new column
> (or file). The information from the two-by-two table occupies one
> row for each study (col 1 = treatment events, col 2 = control
> events, col 3 = treatment non-events, col 4 = control non-events).
> Does anyone know of an existing Stata procedure that can accommodate
> this?

Perhaps the easiest way to do this is with -statsby-.  For example,
suppose that the two variables that comprise your two-by-two table(s)
are called var1 and var2, and suppose that your studies are indexed by
a variable called study.  In that case, the following will place the p-
value and the cell frequencies into individual variables -- one
observation per study:

     statsby p=r(p_exact) r1c1=mymat[1,1] r1c2=mymat[1,2] ///
                          r2c1=mymat[2,1] r2c2=mymat[2,2],
by(study): ///
                          tab var1 var2, exact matcell(mymat)

-- Phil