Re: st: texdoc

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: texdoc
Date   Mon, 17 May 2010 11:16:19 -0700

Dear David

Thanks for posting this to bring this to our (and my) attention. I always believe very strongly in using this kind of "weaving" approach and find it very efficient. Are you (or is anyone on the Statalist) aware of a tool similar to this that weaves comments, commands, output, and graphs into a Word document? At my work, we are in constant need of creating such integrated outputs and the standard format is a Word document.

Many thanks,

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-05-16 9.14 PM, Airey, David C wrote:
.

I just wanted to remind users about Ben Jann's program "texdoc" as one solution for combining Stata results and graphs with documentation, in a "weaving" fashion, similar to R and Sweave. It works well with relatively simple documents one might produce for a course.

In Ben's program, you basically type in your .do file:

texdoc init myfile, replace

and then you enclose blocks of LaTeX in your .do file between

/*tex

...stuff like LaTeX preamble, graphics, body text, etc.

tex*/

and enclose blocks of Stata commands with

texdoc stlog

texdoc stlog close

and end with

texdoc close

With that structure in your .do file, you type,

texdoc myfile.do, replace

to create all the .tex files and include files. Then you LaTeX the .tex file to produce a very pretty PDF.

You also have to download sjlatex and if on a mac, install sjlatex files here:

~/YourUserFolder/Library/texmf/tex/latex/sjlatex/

and also if you are on a mac, a very easy MacTeX installation is available.

-Dave