RE: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: recode 9, 99, 999,..., into missing

Subject   RE: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: recode 9, 99, 999,..., into missing
Date   Mon, 17 May 2010 19:29:46 +0200

<>

Just to be sure, we are talking about the "programming if" here -help
ifcmd-, not the qualifier, the source of much confusion in the past on the
list.

-su, mean- leaves behind a scalar value for the maximum, and the ifs check
on its range. So there is only one "correct" answer per loop iteration to
the if/else, and this one is executed. For the -if- qualifier, nothing much
would change, as discussed earlier, only the code would be executed more
frequently, i.e. _N times.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael McCulloch
Sent: Montag, 17. Mai 2010 19:14
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: recode 9, 99, 999,..., into missing

Thanks Nick, this helped me understand the code. Am I correct then to
understand that:
. if r(max)<=9 mvdecode `var', mv(9)
  	means: "change all values of 9 to missing when 9 is the max of the
range"

. else if inrange(r(max),10,99) mvdecode `var', mv(99)
	means: "change all values of 99 to missing when the range is 10 to
99"

. else if inrange(r(max),100,999) mvdecode `var', mv(999)
	means: "change all values of 999 to missing when the range is 100 to

999"

. else mvdecode `var', mv(9999)
	means: "change all values of 9999 to missing"

Michael