RE: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: recode 9, 99, 999,..., into missing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: recode 9, 99, 999,..., into missing
Date   Mon, 17 May 2010 18:26:39 +0100

None of these statements is entirely correct.

In the first clause, the maximum can be less than 9.

In the second and third clauses, the test is whether the maximum falls in certain intervals. The range of the data is otherwise not considered.

The last clause isn't unconditional as in your paraphrase; it applies only when r(max) exceeds 999.

Michael McCulloch

Thanks Nick, this helped me understand the code. Am I correct then to
understand that:
. if r(max)<=9 mvdecode `var', mv(9)
  	means: "change all values of 9 to missing when 9 is the max of the
range"

. else if inrange(r(max),10,99) mvdecode `var', mv(99)
	means: "change all values of 99 to missing when the range is 10 to 99"

. else if inrange(r(max),100,999) mvdecode `var', mv(999)
	means: "change all values of 999 to missing when the range is 100 to
999"

. else mvdecode `var', mv(9999)
	means: "change all values of 9999 to missing"

On May 17, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

> 99 isn't changed because there are bigger values in the same
> variable. Thus, it is assumed that it does not mean missing.

Michael McCulloch