Re: st: SV: RE: Splitting a textvariable

Subject   Re: st: SV: RE: Splitting a textvariable
Date   Wed, 12 May 2010 12:18:13 -0400

Dear Tomas,
this is not much of a programming problem, but more of a conceptual one.
Even though every address ends with a number, the reverse may not be true!
Not every number in your string may signal a new address. consider

Helsinki rroad 1 5 avenue 1600
(two addresses, second is  "fifth avenue 1600"). With streets being numbered
all over North America this will definitely be a problem. Numbers can also be
a part of the more creative street names:  "Square of the 1 of May" would be
a common occasion in the former USSR, my hometown in Ukraine has
"23rd of August" street as well as "Lisoparkovy 1-y in", "Lisoparkovy 2-y in".

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&sll=44.197959,30.432129&sspn=11.561505,15.512695&ie=UTF8&ll=50.03433,36.223378&spn=0.002781,0.006958&z=18

While you may hope for the best and consider this is not the case with your
addresses, it is always safer to go back to the data provider and request
addresses to be stored in separate variables or separated with proper
terminators.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin