Re: st: RE: fitted values in xtmepoisson and xtpoisson

From   Dan MacNulty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: fitted values in xtmepoisson and xtpoisson
Date   Tue, 11 May 2010 09:53:53 -0700

Thanks for spotting my error Garry; I did neglect to specify the -normal- option. And this highlights my core question: why do the marginal fitted values differ so much between poisson models where the random effects follow a normal versus a gamma distribution? Moreover, it seems the former provide a comparatively poor fit to the observed data. Specifically, the marginal fitted values from the poisson model with normally distributed random effects appear to underestimate the observed counts. This is illustrated with the following code:

. use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r10/epilepsy
. xtset  subject
. xtpoisson seizures lage, re normal
. predict xt_norm, nu0
. xtpoisson seizures lage, re
. predict xt_gamma, nu0
. twoway (lowess seizures lage) (line xt_norm lage, sort) (line xt_gamma lage, sort)

Garry Anderson wrote:
Dear Dan,

If you use the -,normal- option on the -xtpoisson- model the fitted
values are the same as -xtmepoisson-. That is, the -xtmepoisson- command
assumes that the random effects are normally distributed, whereas the
-xtpoisson- command assumes that they have a gamma distribution. Page
286 of the Stata 11 XT manual refers to -xtmepoisson- and says "Because
this is a simple random-intercept model, you can obtain equivalent
results by using
xtpoisson with the re and normal options."

Cheers, Garry