RE: st: Re: psedual R2 of mim:gllamm fitted models

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: psedual R2 of mim:gllamm fitted models
Date   Fri, 7 May 2010 09:52:54 -0700

In addition, the interpretation as 'explained variance' is inappropriate.  The name pseudo-R2 leads the unwary to this interpretation and we need to be cautious.  Of course, this list doesn't need this warning.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 8:46 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Re: psedual R2 of mim:gllamm fitted models

My two cents: pseudo-R^2 from logistic regression is flaky (does the
value of 1 indicate perfect prediction? Wait, perfect prediction means
that logistic regression estimator does not converge!). Pseudo-R^2
from a multilevel logistic regression is double-flaky (variance at
what level does it try to explain?). Pseudo-R^2 from a multilevel
model with imputed data is triple-flaky (does it incorporate
imputation variance?).

To compare performance of competing models, you can -gllapred- your
outcomes (preferably in a separate validation sample) and see which
model generates more accurate predictions.