AW: st: U.S. Census Data

Subject   AW: st: U.S. Census Data
Date   Thu, 6 May 2010 16:50:08 +0200

<>

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/howbig.html may also be helpful here.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Neil Shephard
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2010 16:46
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: U.S. Census Data

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Nate Breznau
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I am wanting to end my usage of SPSS, and in general have successfully
done
> so; however, in a project working with U.S. Census data I need to use a
> datafile that has over 30 million cases and 15 variables. This is the
> smallest version I can use for my purposes. Is there any way to alter
Stata
> to work with such a monster file? I've pushed it to its maximum allowed
> memory and its not enough.

What version of Stata and on what platform are you using?

Number of cases is not a limiting factor since Intercooled/SE/MP
versions of Stata can all handle > 2000000000 observations (see
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?limits).

More likely its a memory issue and there are various limits imposed by
a 32-bit OS, and also under M$-Windows.

So go for a 64-bit OS and possibly an alternative to M$-Windows (I've
no idea how much 64-bit Win systems can handle, but suspect its
similar to *NIX type systems which can have Gb's and Gb's of RAM).

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/