Re: st: Survey question

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Survey question
Date   Tue, 04 May 2010 19:39:08 -0700

Greetings

Thank you all for your input on this, it was extremely helpful! The collective knowledge of the Statalist is so impressive.

Thanks!

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-05-04 11.11 AM, Stas Kolenikov wrote:
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Michael Norman Mitchell
<[email protected]>  wrote:
  We have a sampling frame of people (a list of say 7000 people) and we are
going to sample of say 300 of them. All people in the sampling frame will
have an equal probability of being selected.

  Assume that we do not want to compute "totals" (i.e, counts, frequencies)
in the population, and just focus on things like percentages, means, and
estimation commands (like regress). In such a case, is there any need or
benefit to calculate -pweights- and use the -svy- commands?
Even if you use SRS, there's still a small gain in precision because
of the finite nature of the population captured by the finite
population correction, 1-300/7000. (If you sampled 7000 out of 7000,
your uncertainty will be zero, which is what the fpc is reflecting,
among other things.) You don't need anything at all for this, just

svyset, fpc(7000)