st: Survey question

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Survey question
Date   Tue, 04 May 2010 10:37:16 -0700

Greetings

I am embarrassed to ask this question, but I just want to be extra sure that I am on the right track.

We have a sampling frame of people (a list of say 7000 people) and we are going to sample of say 300 of them. All people in the sampling frame will have an equal probability of being selected.

Assume that we do not want to compute "totals" (i.e, counts, frequencies) in the population, and just focus on things like percentages, means, and estimation commands (like regress). In such a case, is there any need or benefit to calculate -pweights- and use the -svy- commands?

Many thanks,

--
Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...