Re: st: creating variable from svy: proportion

Subject   Re: st: creating variable from svy: proportion
Date   Mon, 3 May 2010 12:26:32 -0400

You should be fine with these weights. Problems can arise if the
original probability weights are post-stratified or otherwise "raked"
so that sample estimates better match population totals. These
post-stratified weights might not  be appropriate for individual
cooperatives (or for sub-populations in general). See Levy and
Lemeshow, Sampling of Populations, 4th Ed, 2008, page 149. I would
have suggested that you use the original probability weights, if
available:
new_weight = (1/prob sel coop)x (1/prob sel popcode) x (1/ prob sel individual).

With these weights,

svy: total isb17, over(dccode)

would give wrong estimates of totals, because the weight includes a
factor for sampling of the cooperative. So, if the probability of
selecting a coop was 1/10, the total estimate for that coop would be
inflated 10-fold. You only need the product of the last two factors

However estimates of proportions and other means will be unbiased,
because the extra coop selection factor (10, in the example) cancels
out of the numerator (estimate of number of individuals with isb17=1)
and denominator (estimate of number of individuals in the coop).

Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island