Re: st: Memory requirements for factor variables

From   Federico Belotti <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Memory requirements for factor variables
Date   Mon, 3 May 2010 10:54:30 +0200

Partha,

I think there is no way to do that in stata. An alternative could be mata. Clearly, you have to write down the ado for your econometric model. An example using OLS is below.

HTH

Federico

******  do *******
clear all
set mem 10m
set more off

set seed 123456

set obs 100000

mata
real matrix factor_reg(rows,cols,d1,d2,d3,d4,x,y) {

	D = J(rows,cols,0)
	for(i=1;i<=cols;i++) {
		for(j=1;j<=rows;j++) {
			if (d1[j]==i | d2[j]==i | d3[j]==i | d4[j]==i) D[j,i]=1
		}
	}
	X = x,D,J(100000,1,1)
	Y = y
	beta = invsym(X'X)*(X'Y)
	beta
}

end

gen x = rnormal()
gen u = rnormal()
gen int d = int(_n/1000)
gen int d1 = int(_n/1100)
gen int d2 = int(_n/1200)
gen int d3 = int(_n/1300)
gen int d4 = int(_n/1400)

sum

gen y = x + u

describe,s

regress y x i.d

sum d

tomata
mata: factor_reg(100000,100,d1,d2,d3,d4,x,y)

forvalues i=1/`r(max)' {

gen byte Id`i' = (d1==`i' | d2==`i' | d3==`i' | d4==`i')
}

describe,s

regress y x Id*

exit