Re: st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:59:48 -0500

David Airey ([email protected]) asked how to restrict
Stata to behave as Small Stata for the purpose of checking whether
examples will work for students in his class who may be using
Small Stata:

> How can I hobble Stata 11 to behave as Small Stata? I wanted to know
> if Small Stata will run all exercises for a class.

The easiest way to do this is merely to install Small Stata and
try the example(s) in it.  The license for a 'higher' flavor of Stata
will allow all 'lower' flavors to run under it.  That is, if
you have a license for Stata/IC, then that license will work for
both Stata/IC and Small Stata.  A Stata/SE license allows Stata/SE,
Stata/IC, and Small Stata to run.  A Stata/MP license allows
Stata/MP, Stata/SE, Stata/IC, and Small Stata to run.

In Windows the easiest way to add Small Stata to an existing installation
is to insert the installation DVD, choose the 'Modify' option during
the installation process, and choose to install Small Stata alongside
whatever existing flavor of you already have installed.

In Mac OS X, the easiest way to add Small Stata to an existing
installation is to go to the Stata for Mac updates page

   http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata11/mac/

download the Small Stata disk image, and follow the instructions
on that page that tell you how to copy the application into
your existing Stata folder.

You can then run Small Stata or your regular flavor of Stata.

--Alan