st: Comparing proportions using survey data

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Comparing proportions using survey data
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:38:26 +0100

Folks,

I have individual-level survey data (n=294).  I would like to compare
the proportions of responses to one question (a binary variable) across
two regions: north (n=154) and south (n=140).

I believe I should treat the two regions as independent samples. The
survey sample design is a cluster sample stratified by region so that no
individuals in the sample from the north region appear in the sample
from the south region.

Stata's prtest command does not support the survey (svy) command.  How
may I measure the significance of the difference between the proportion
of responses of northerners against the proportion of responses of
southerners - whilst taking into account the survey design effects?

I posted a similar query earlier but with insufficient imprecision.
Practical advice much appreciated.

Cheerio, Omar

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/planningAndCorporatePolicy/legalandComplianceTeam/legal/disclaimer.htm