RE: st: Stata 11 discrim logistic leave-one-out

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 11 discrim logistic leave-one-out
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:05:15 -0700

It might be feasible to do a number of leave one out regressions in a foreach loop and summarize the results.  I'd use 500 to 1000 reps as a start.  10000 might mean an overnight run, but not everyone works all night ...

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Stata 11 discrim logistic leave-one-out

Burkhard C. Schipper <[email protected]> asks why there is
no -lootable- option with -discrim logistic- (and correspondingly
why there is no -estat classtable, loo- postestimation available
after -discrim logistic-) when it is available after the other
-discrim- commands.

The reason is that there are quick update formulas for performing
leave-one-out analysis for the other methods.

Think of the case where you have a lot of observations -- lets
say 10,000.  With -discrim lda-, -discrim qda-, and -discrim knn-
there are formulas that allow us to take the discrimination
results from the full sample and quickly alter it to remove one
observation.  We are unaware of quick update formulas for
logistic discrimination and so providing a -lootable- option for
-discrim logistic- was not provided since with moderate to large
size datasets, the computation time would be excessive.  With
10,000 observations we would need to run 10,000 logistic
regressions.

Ken Higbee
StataCorp