st: RE: RE: box plots

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: box plots
Date   Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:42:29 +0100

However, I think it's true that no graph command for the new graphics
(Stata 8 up) supports variable-width box plots.

My own program -stripplot- from SSC certainly does not. My own view is
that if you have enough space to vary the widths, you might as well show
more detail. No one has to agree with this, but equally it's evident
that no recent Stata programmer has felt compelled to support
variable-width box plots.

What you want is programmable in current Stata but not trivially so.
You'd need to superimpose several calls to -twoway rbar-, etc. extending
the details given in

SJ-9-3  gr0039  . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Creating and varying box
plots
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q3/09   SJ 9(3):478--496                                 (no
commands)
        explains how to use egen to calculate the statistical
        ingredients needed for box plots and variations of box
        plots; shows the use of twoway to then create the plots

Nick Cox

Possible in official Stata for many years:

. sysuse auto
. graph7 price, by(foreign) box vwidth

Maul Eugenio

Does anyone know of a program to create boxplots, with box width
proportional to group size?