st: AW: RE: AW: Exclude some observations from a sample in a regression

Subject   st: AW: RE: AW: Exclude some observations from a sample in a regression
Date   Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:33:21 +0200

<>

"-if foreign- would also include any missings on -foreign-"

True, though the example was carefully chosen not to run into the problem...
"rep78" would be an entirely different beast in this respect...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. April 2010 11:29
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: RE: AW: Exclude some observations from a sample in a regression

But be careful.

-if foreign- would also include any missings on -foreign-.

-if foreign != 1- would do that too.

Martin Weiss

In the case of a binary variable, you could use the shortcuts

sysuse auto, clear
regress price weight length if foreign
regress price weight length if !foreign

to include all foreign (first case) or domestic (second case) cars.

Claude Francoeur

Doing a regression, I would like to exclude a series of observations
that are identified with a binary variable (=1). Could you let me know
what the syntax would be, if it's doable?