st: Re: Hadrilm test

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   asma esseghir <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Hadrilm test
Date   Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:34:38 -0400

The first panel, in which you consider the level of lngdp, provides overwhelming evidence against the stated null hypothesis of stationarity.

The second panel, in which you consider differences in lngdp (roughly, GDP growth rates), provides mixed evidence against the stated null. If you assume that the errors are homoskedastic (Homo), you do not reject. If you assume they are heteroskedastic or exhibit serial dependence, you do not reject using the mu test, but reject using the tau test. The mu test assumes, under H0, that the series are stationary around a mean; the tau test assumes they are stationary around a linear trend, analogous to the assumptions made in a Dickey-Fuller test.

So there is clear evidence against stationarity for at least some of the series in levels, and mixed evidence against stationarity of _all_ series for the series in first differences. Keep in mind that like any panel unit root test, the assumption that _all_ series are stationary is strong, and can be violated if even one of the series in differences exhibit nonstationary behaviour.

Kit