st: question about calculating frequencies

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
Subject   st: question about calculating frequencies
Date   Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:52:25 +0100

Dear all,
I have a dataset containing individuals and about 40 variables representing their interest in various activities. Each interest variable has a value of 1, 2 or 3 depending on the strength of interest expressed. I need to calculate numbers of men and women who expressed interest level 1 for each activity and then incorporate them as constants into my dataset.
At the moment my data looks like this:
id sex int_baseball int_music int_cinema
1    1           1        2    1
2    1           1        3    1
3    2           3        1    2
4    1           2        1    2
5    2           2        2    1

I am now using table command to create frequencies by sex for each interest separately:
table int_baseball, by(sex) replace
keep if int_baseball==1
rename table1 intbsbsexfreq
la var intbsbsexfreq "frequency of strong interest in baseball by sex"
compress
reshape wide intbsbsexfreq, i(int_baseball) j(sex)
la var intbsbsexfreq1 "number of men interested in baseball"
la var intbsbsexfreq2 "number of women interested in baseball"

having calculated number of men interested in baseball (15,000 in my case) and number of women interested in baseball (6000 in my case) I can then manually generate a constant variable in my name dataset:
gen menint_baseball=15000

but this method of arriving at what I need is really cumbersome, I would be most grateful for any suggestions of alternative more efficient commands I could use.
Warm regards,
katya

--
Ekaterina Hertog (née Korobtseva)