st: RE: testing equivalence of long variable lists

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: testing equivalence of long variable lists
Date   Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:11:14 -0000

See help on -macrolists-. The answer is

local same : list tmp1 == tmp2

or

local same : list tmp1 === tmp2

Jeremy Freese

I have some old code that uses this statement:

if "`tmp1'"=="`tmp2'" {

where tmp1 and tmp2 contain variable lists.  My understanding is that
if the variable list is longer than 244 characters, this will evaluate
to true if there is some difference between tmp1 and tmp2 after the
244th character.  Is this correct?  How does one test the equality of
long macros?