Re: st: Weights and pooling data

Subject   Re: st: Weights and pooling data
Date   Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:11:29 -0400

The short answer is: it depends on the nature of the samples and the
purpose of your analysis.  If  the samples in different years are
independent (the study does not have  observations on the same people
in different years), then, ordinarily, you will append the data from
the different years and give the weight variables the same name in the
combined data set.

How you set up strata for the combined years depends on how the
designs of the original studies, so it is difficult to give advice
without  more detail. Perhaps the study documentation has suggestions
on how to  analyze combined yearly data sets. It can sometimes be
tricky.

By the way, the correct name of the program we use is "Stata", not
"STATA".  Unlike  the letters in "SAS" and "SPSS" , those in "Stata"
do not stand for other words and so are not capitalized.

Steve

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Sibel S. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
> What happens with the weights when pooling data from multiple years in
> STATA (where each year has different scaling of sample weights)?
> Since the weights pertain to data from a particular year, is there a
> way to tell the program which weight variable to use in which year?

Steven Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477