st: Tssmooth Ma Missing Values

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Tssmooth Ma Missing Values
Date   Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:54:31 -0000

I'm trying to generate 2 and 5 year forward and backward moving averages for a particular variable.   A sample of the data structure appears below.  To generate the moving averages below I have used the following syntax:

tssmooth ma 2yearMA=Variable, window(0 1 1)

tssmooth ma 5yearMA=Variable, window(0 1 4)

tssmooth ma Back2YearMa=Variable, window(1 1 0)

The problem I encounter is that the forward moving average syntax leads Stata to create new values prior to the start of the times in rows where I am missing data for the variable.  At the end of the time series the same occurs for the backward moving average.  Ideally, I want Stata to produce moving averages only in years for which I have data for the variable.

Is there some syntax I could use to tell Stata not to create these new values in rows where I have missing data?

Country	 Year	 Variable	 2yearMA	 5YearMa	 Back2YearMa
Australia	 1897	 .	 .	 0	 .
Australia	 1898	 .	 .	 0.5	 .
Australia	 1899	 .	 .	 1	 .
Australia	 1900	 .	 0	 1.5	 .