RE: st: RE: psmatch2 with the if condition

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: psmatch2 with the if condition
Date   Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:40:51 -0000

In effect you raise two new points:

1. Whether -psmatch2- promises, implicitly or explicitly, to match
companies [in your case] in a specified subset only with others in the
same subset.

2. How to achieve that if that is what you wish.

On 1, the best answers will come from the program authors, who may or
may not be currently members of this list.

A solution 2 that is possible: You could temporarily -drop- observations
that you don't want to be included from the dataset. That way,
-psmatch2- will not see any others.
However, I wouldn't implementing that until you have a good answer on 1.

I haven't read the -psmatch2- help. But the looping you quote looks
sound, and yours is buggy, so I recommend that you base your code more
closely on that example.

Roberto Mura

Nick,
Thank you for your kind reply. The loop is not the main issue. Even
if I do not specify any loop but simply code:
use "C:\AAA.dta", clear
catenate condition1 =  country sic2
gen quotedcondition1=1 if quotedcompany==1
replace quotedcondition1=0 if quotedcompany==0 & diversification_orig==1
gen quotednumerator=.
gen quoteddenomenator=.
gen privatenumerator=.
gen privatedenominator=.
egen g=group(condition1)
bysort condition1: gen Ncondition1=_N

psmatch2 quotedcondition1 if g==1, pscore(size) noreplacement

I still find that psmatch2 uses companies which do not belong to
group 1 to look for matches. As a matter of fact, it is assigning _id
values outside the range of group 1 (there are just 15 firms in it
but psmatch2 reports values like 877). Also, I am not blaming
psmatch2 for anything and I never said I discovered a bug. I am just
trying to understand what I am doing wrong. Also, please note that my
code is very similar to the one reported in the help of psmatch2
which I report below for simplicity:
Matching within strata
     The following code illustrates how to match within exact cells
and then calculate the average effect for the whole population.

         g att = .
         egen g = group(groupvars)
         levels g, local(gr)
         qui foreach j of local gr {
                 psmatch2 treatvar varlist if g==`j', out(outvar)
                 replace att = r(att) if  g==`j'
         }
         sum att

At 11:22 22/03/2010, you wrote:
>You refer to various user-written programs here. Remember that you are
>asked to explain where user-written programs mentioned in a post come
>from.
>
>-catenate- is from SSC. It has long since morphed into, and been
>superseded by, the official -egen- function -concat()-. However, its
use
>here is not problematic.
>
>More importantly, -psmatch2- is a very often used command from SSC. I
>haven't used it, but my guess is very much that you are
misunderstanding
>something rather than that you have discovered a bug.
>
>Note that Stata is not doing anything independently of the commands you
>issue, contrary to some of your wording here.
>
>I haven't tried to understand your detailed logic, but what seems much
>more likely than a problem with -psmatch2- is that you are
>misunderstanding what your -while- loops are doing.
>
>You have two loops
>
>local j=1
>while `j' <= g {
>         local i=1
>         while `i' < Ncondition1 {
>         }
>}
>
>Both involve looping until a value stored in a variable is reached, -g-
>in the outer loop and -Ncondition1- in the inner loop. With this kind
of
>programming what Stata does is look at the value of the named variable
>_in the first observation_. This is documented at
>
>FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  if command vs. if
>qualifier
J.

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/ifqualifier.html