st: RE: RE: problem with _request()

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: problem with _request()
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:58:42 -0000

<sacrifice to Fortuna>

Meaning: not well explained in the help, but see [P] p.102 for clear
examples.

The underlying code is very old in Stata terms and the documentation
terminology is phrased in terms that go back to Stata 2 or so. Nowadays
global and local macros are talked about as if they were disjoint. The
examples make evident the original and still valid story that local
macros are, as it were, temporary global macros.

Nick Cox

Not well explained, but it defines a global not a local: $macname not
`macname'

Michael Norman Mitchell

   In a recent post, Carl had troubles using "display _request()". I
have need for this and am also having troubles with this.

   I have a simple do-file named test.do

---- test.do ----
display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
display "`yourname'"
---- test.do ----

   When I run this, I expect it to display my name back. But this is
what I get...

. do test.do
. display "What is your name?" _request(yourname)
What is your name?. Michael
. display "`yourname'"

.
end of do-file

   Am I using this incorrectly? Can anyone else confirm this as a
problem?