Re: st: problem calling macros using file write in a program

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem calling macros using file write in a program
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:22:07 -0500

Hi Tim:
One problem is that you -file open-/-file write- to the handle "results" and you -file close- the handle "test".

Second, if you -set trace on- before you run your program, you'll see that it's not writing `model' because the
program is not passed `model', so it writes what it sees (e.g.,  "  file write results `""'  ")

Instead, you might want to pass the 'using' file and the local macro as part of the syntax; something like this should
get you started:

**********
cap erase "OLSresults.txt" //--just so that we know that this program wrote the macro
**

cap program drop writeit
program define writeit
syntax using/ , LOCal(string)
cap file close results
file open results using "`using'", write replace
file write results `"`local'"'
file close results
end

**examples**
writeit using "OLSresults.txt", local("Model 1. All States, no controls.")
set trace on
writeit using "OLSresults2.txt", loc("Model 2. Yada Yada")
set trace off

~ Eric
__
Eric A. Booth