st: RE: re: household and person identifiers

Subject   st: RE: re: household and person identifiers
Date   Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:43:18 +0100

<>

The assumption behind Kit`s approach is that a string is sufficient for
subsequent analyses conducted on the units thus identified. If Johanna wants
numeric ids, but still stick to Kit`s idea, she can take a look at -encode-.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Christopher Baum
Sent: Mittwoch, 10. März 2010 20:36
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: re: household and person identifiers

<>
Johanna wondered

I am working with a dataset where two identifier numbers uniquely identify
an individual. How do I create one identifier from the household and person
identifiers in STATA?

Martin suggested egen,group() but this would seem to be not very handy, as
the resulting ID will be an arbitrary integer. When I had to do something
like this with directorID (a number) and case code, I did

g dircase = string(directorID)+string(casenr)

That has the advantage of retaining both variables' contents in readable
form, and making it string avoids any overflow problems. Naturally you could
put in a separator such as +"_"+ in the expression if you wish.

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |
http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |