RE: st: Sample Wegihts

From   "Jason Dean, Mr" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Sample Wegihts
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 16:33:41 -0500

Hi Michael and Guang, thank you very much for providing help.

Here is some more information about my samples:

- 5% random sample of the entire country (census data 1901 Canada).
Then:
- 8% sample of the urban areas of Montreal
- 6% sample of the urban areas of Toronto
- 24% sample of the urban areas of Vancouver
- 17% sample of the urban areas of Winnipeg

Now these last 4 city samples are clustered by census subdistrict (sorry I forgot to mention this in my post) - essentially they were sampled by selecting every 5th sub district and every household in those subdistricts where sampled. Many of the socio-economic characteristics of these samples match the census population figures.

- As well I have an additional 10% random sample of Vancouver.

I have taken out duplicated observations by using the page and line number of the census and left them in the 5% random sample (originally for what I was doing that was fine.) Sorry I did not mean between cities in my last post. I meant I dropped duplicates between the Toronto 5% sample and the Toronto extra sample (and the other three cities)

So if I ignore the clustering and duplicates issue, I would have a weight of 20 for the 5 percent random samples and then a weight of 12.5, 16.7, 4.1 and 5.8 respectively for the city over samples. Plus the extra Vancouver sample would have a weight of 10. I would apply these weights using svyset and have a strata id as per your previous response. Is this correct?

Then to deal with cluster could I use the ,cluster(id) command after regress where id is a variable that identifies the subdistirct in all samples?

For the duplicates could I adjust the weight for the city in which I remove the duplicated observations?

Please let me know if you need any more info. Again I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jason