st: RE: about macro's double quotes

Subject   st: RE: about macro's double quotes
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 21:20:15 +0100

<>

If you want to read up on -macro-s, check out manual [U], section 18.3.

What do you want to achieve with your outer loop? You let it cycle through
three elements of a -global-. The -gen- and -replace- statements inside the
second loop are supposed to be executed only for the first element of the
-global-. Would it not be much easier to drag the -gen-/-replace- statement
out of the inner loop, and ditch the outer one? Maybe this is taken out of
context, but from what is visible in your post, the outer loop is
redundant...

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of G. Dai
Sent: Dienstag, 9. März 2010 20:20
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: about macro's double quotes

dear all,
I'm a first time  user of macros. As you can see from below, I want to
generate a  new var r`i'pnhm when x=md.  After execute the do file, it
runs smoothly for x=md. After that, however, I was always reminded by STATA
that
               r5pnhm5y already defined
               r(110);
so what's wrong with the following program. BTW,I'm little bit confused by
the macro
quotes, can anyone say tips?
regards,
Guang

global set "md mom dad";
foreach x in $set {;
forvalues i=5/8{;
gen r`i'pnhm=. if "`x'"=="md";
replace r`i'pnhm=int(10*r`i'pnhm5y)/10 if "`x'"=="md";
};