st: Re: st: 回复: st: AW: 回复: AW: 回复: st: re: missing string entry

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: st: 回复: st: AW: 回复: AW: 回复: st: re: missing string entry
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:36:45 +0000

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM, lydia huang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Martin,
> why there is a -*- after -clear-?
> what is -set obs 1-?

Try running the _all_ of the code and looking at the resulting data
*(copy and paste it into the command dialog box and hit return).

You can also read the help page for each and every command by typing
in Stata....

man [command]

I've not got a version of Stata 7 installed that I can check this on,
but on the current install I have (11.0) your first question is
answered in the help page shown when I type...

man clear

Similarly your second question can be answered by typing...

man set

and reading that.  Although in this instance there are lots of
different things that -set- does, and you would have to click through
to the -man obs- page to find the answer.

It sounds as though you would benefit greatly from either the Stata
NetCourse 101 (see http://www.stata.com/netcourse/nc101.html ) and/or
one of the many excellent books out there (see
http://www.stata-press.com/books/acock2.html /
http://www.stata-press.com/books/daus2.html /
http://www.stata-press.com/books/ishr2.html).

Neil
--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/