st: change log writing in unix batch mode?

From   M Hollis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: change log writing in unix batch mode?
Date   Sat, 6 Mar 2010 11:34:28 -0800 (PST)

I've been working with a large dataset and submitting jobs on a unix system through batch mode. I've done this in the past, both using batch mode on a PC and in grad school they had set up a special unix queuing system for Stata. I know for sure with the PC batch mode and I think also with the system in grad school the log file that was automatically created in batch mode would be saved to the file line by line as it was processed. This was convenient because it meant that while the do-file was still running I could open up the log file in a text editor and check on it's progress (and opening the file never seemed to interfere with Stata's ability to continue writing to that file).

When I'm running it now, though, the log file becomes a temporary file with 0K size until the dofile is done and then the entire log is written to the file. Does anyone know if there's a relatively easy way to change this? I can check on the progress in other ways, e.g. check on the status of output files created along the way, but if there's a simple fix if would be nice to have that ability again.

Thanks,

MNH