AW: st: AW: Reference column without knowing variable name?

Subject   AW: st: AW: Reference column without knowing variable name?
Date   Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:55:47 +0100

<>

True! -_N- does indeed refer to the number of rows in the dataset (which is the same for all vars, unlike some spreadsheet software products), so you want -c(k)- as the endpoint, which does refer to the number of columns in the dataset. BTW, the result is the same, but computation is probably 0.01 seconds faster.

*************
ma drop _all
sysuse auto, clear

qui ds, has(type numeric)
forv i=1(3)`=c(k)'{
	loc newvars `newvars' `:word `i' of `r(varlist)''
}

foreach var of local newvars{
	replace `var'=2*`var'
}