st:multiple imputation(-mi-) :error message & ordinal categorical items

From   Mandy fu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st:multiple imputation(-mi-) :error message & ordinal categorical items
Date   Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:55:23 -0500

I was wondering if someone could give me some help with two questions
about -mi-.

************************first question******************************
I used remote (off-campus) access to Stata 11 which is owned by my
university. My data set is saved at an online drive.  After I tried to set
mi style as wide, mlong and flong, computer gave the same error
message as following:
-------------------------------
"could not find a filename for temporary flongsep file
  I tried __mitmpfile1.dta through __mitmpfile200.dta.  Perhaps you
do not have write permission in this directory.
r(603);"
------------------------------
When I tried to use --mi set flongseq name-- , no matter how I changed
the name, the error information was  invalid name.

 I was wondering if the problem is caused by the remote access ?

************************Second question******************************
Is it OK to use --mi impute mvn--to impute ordinal items? I
know --mvn--should be used when the items are continuous normal
distributed variables. But,  is it OK or is it absolutely
unacceptable? What if I impute the items using –mi impute ologit—on
the items one by one instead of imputing them simultaneously?

By the way, the previous discussion about this issue from the
following link(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-07/msg01146.html)
is very good.

Thanks for your time!

Best,