Re: st: status of -ds- command

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: status of -ds- command
Date   Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:21:29 -0800

Dear Bill

I can hear the applause all the way over here (that is, applause for the restoring of -ds- to documented). Although this is an odd little command, to me its combination of power and simplicity embodies much of the philosophy of Stata.

Hooray!

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-03-03 10.21 AM, William Gould, StataCorp LP wrote:
The issue of the "previously documented" status -ds- has popped up yet
again on Statalist.

I don't even want to try to defend "previously documented".  We are
restoring -ds- to documented status.

All of which is to say, we realize our mistake.  As I recall, our
concern about -ds- was that it was a strange combination of
easy-to-use features mixed with advanced features.  We found the
combination philosophically offensive.  So what did we do?  We moved
-ds- to "previously documented", which I guess is something like
"double-secret probation", and at the same time we did nothing to
address the problem that -ds- was designed to address!  The
offense to our sensibilities removed, we declared the issue closed.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

To be clear, I signed onto the stupid idea.

In my and StataCorp's defense, we spend very little time cleaning up
our own messes.  A perfectly run company, however, wouldn't create
messes in the first place.

-- Bill