st: Re: Clarification request

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   mabrouk abir <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Clarification request
Date   Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:10:58 -0500

1) No, the restriction is not that cov(Y,Z) = 0, it is that cov(Y,Z | X) = 0. That is, once you introduce Xs, the Zs should not enter the equation directly.

2) Yes.

3) There is no need to do so, as often discussed on this list (see Mark Schaffer's posts). Consistent estimates of an IV equation with an endogenous dummy or count variable can be computed by using 2SLS, as long as the usual set of assumptions for IV are satisfied. There are also good reasons not to do 2SLS 'by hand' by computing hat-values from a Poisson or negbin regression.