Re: st: Memory allocation and CPU issues

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Memory allocation and CPU issues
Date   Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:22:32 +0000

You don't mention which OS you're on, but I'll hazard a guess at an M$
variant, and if correct the following FAQ will also be useful in
addition to Martin's suggestion...

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html

Neil

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Jason Ferris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been given a dataset which is 750mb large.  I cannot open this as
> I get "no room to add more variables" errors.
> I recently had 2*1GB ram chips and had 'set memory' to 700meg.  And got
> the above message.
> After trying to set my memory to a greater value (e.g., 1000m) I got the
> message
> "op. sys. refuses to provide memory"
> I could not get memory above 700m.
>
> I contacted our IT department to get more ram.  I got more ram.  See
> specs below (from computer>properties)
> Intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo CPU
> E6750 @ 2.66GHz
> 2.67 GHz ,3.23 GB of Ram
>
> When I now try to increase my allocated memory to 1000m I still get
> "op. sys. refuses to provide memory"
>
> I cannot get the memory to go above 700m.
>
> Is memory allocation also an issue of CPU - not just an issue of memory?
> I ask this as I can set memory on a colleagues machine to 850m and load
> the dataset.  The other machine only has 2g of RAM - but different RAM
> chips and a different CPU.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Do I need to upgrade the BIOS on my CPU or upgrade my machine?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason

> DISCLAIMER: This message (including any attachments) is intended solely for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential or privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
> Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,and are not necessarily the views of the Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre (ABN: 68 223 819 017).

> Although this message and any attachments have been scanned for viruses by 'Trend Micro InterScan' at the time of sending, you are advised to rescan on receipt.
>
> The whole or parts of this email may be subject to copyright of Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre (ABN: 68 223 819 017), and/or third parties.
> You can only re-transmit, distribute or use the material if you are authorised to do so.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments.
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/