Re: st: R for Stata Users

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: R for Stata Users
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:21:01 -0600

I think that I agree with everything that has been said about R. I
have the book on order, and I certainly hope that it does more than
the blurb suggests.

I have used R for their -rpart- ("CART" - recursive partitioning) and
-randomForest- programs.  Here is an example of (probably poor) R code
that I used (BTW, I ended up making the publication graphs in Stata!):

   setwd("/Users/fwolfe/statdata/fibcrit")
   sink("rmd1_r.log", split=TRUE)
   load("/Users/fwolfe/statdata/fibcrit/mdbinshort.rdata")
   library(rpart)
   set.seed(9987)
   mdbinshort$md_acrcrit <- as.factor(mdbinshort$md_acrcrit)
   cat.rp <- rpart(md_acrcrit ~ .,data=mdbinshort,method="class",xval=100)
   jpeg(filename = "mdbinshort1.jpeg")
   plot(cat.rp,uniform = T)
   text(cat.rp)
   print(cat.rp)
   summary(cat.rp)
   printcp(cat.rp)
   dev.off()

   library(randomForest)
   set.seed(4804)
   cat.rf <- randomForest(md_acrcrit
~.,data=mdbinshort,importance=TRUE, proximity=TRUE)
   print(cat.rf)
   ## look at variable importance
   round(importance(cat.rf),2)
   ## Plot variable importance
   jpeg(filename = "mdbinshort2.jpeg")
   varImpPlot(cat.rf,main="Predictors of FM Classification")
   dev.off()

To make this work for me, I built all of the analysis files in Stata,
and then converted them to R as in this example:

// md data medium sx but not locations
   preserve
   keep if mdpure == 1
   keep md_acrcrit mdrps mdpain mdfatig mdsleep mdmood mdcog somat
mdunfresh *sx
   save mdbinmedium, replace
   shell "/Applications/StatTransfer9/st.command" mdbinmedium.dta
mdbinmedium.rdata -y
   restore

// md data medium sx but not locations with rps as cat
   preserve
   keep if mdpure == 1
   keep md_acrcrit rcat mdpain mdfatig mdsleep mdmood mdcog somat mdunfresh *sx
   save mdbinmediumcat, replace
   shell "/Applications/StatTransfer9/st.command" mdbinmediumcat.dta
mdbinmediumcat.rdata -y
   restore

The real problem is making all of this work in R if you are not an R
expert. I spent hours with errors and books.

What I would like to see, and that is why I am posting this, is a
Stata program that writes R specific program code. So that if I wanted
to run -rpart-, I could run a Stata program that would create the R
code, call R, and run the program.

I think I am not expert enough to attempt this myself. Perhaps this
list could compile that 5-10 most useful R programs and a community
effort to build translation programs could be undertaken.

Fred

--
Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases