Re: st: spmap myseriously dropping a category

From   Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: spmap myseriously dropping a category
Date   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:57:03 -0600

I suspect it is due to the distribution of the var categories within
year 1995.  The default method is quantile so I would guess the var
was only broken into two groups.  Is you only have 3 categories
wouldn't it be easier to use -clm(u)-?

Using one of the example data sets from -spmap- compare:

 use "Italy-RegionsData.dta", clear
 keep if inrange(id, 8,13)
 spmap zone using "Italy-RegionsCoordinates.dta"  , id(id)
 spmap zone using "Italy-RegionsCoordinates.dta"  , id(id) clm(u)
 replace zone = 1 in 2
 replace zone = 3 in 5
 spmap zone using "Italy-RegionsCoordinates.dta"  , id(id)

Scott