Re: st: Best machine to build for running STATA

From   Dana Chandler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Best machine to build for running STATA
Date   Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:50:41 -0600

Hi Michael -

This is extremely helpful. I really appreciate the link to the report
and the estimation of how much memory a dataset will take up.

I have a few follow-up questions:
Re: Memory allocation... Christopher Baum mentions that for a 13 GB
data set, 24GB of RAM would be recommended. Are there any rules of
thumb people use in terms of how much memory a system should have to
comfortably do analysis on a dataset of a given size? Also, how much
memory should be allocated to a dataset. If you have a 250mb dataset,
is allocating 1gig overkill, can this be harmful?

Re: hardware... I'm not an expert on different kinds of RAM and hard
drives. Does anyone have any experience with what types of RAM (SRAM
vs. DRAM vs. ??) or hard drives (SCSI vs. SATA or ATA) might work best
with STATA. What about ways to optimize the page file or use virtual
memory?

Re: the report... it is mentioned that they chose a "problem size"
that was relatively large to run all the simulations that measured
speed of X processors vs. 1. I may have missed it, but do they ever
mention if the ratio of the gains or the "percentage parallelization"
stays constant as the problem size grows? I frequently encounter
problem sizes larger than those stated and would like to know if the
percentage parallelizations will remain about the same.

Thanks once again Michael and everyone else for your suggestions!
Dana