Re: st: how to handle this type of strings: "text (i.e it containes only one ")

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to handle this type of strings: "text (i.e it containes only one ")
Date   Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:44:42 -0600

A couple of issues that I can see:  1) there is no -delete- command (though you got the right error
message, so that is probably just a typo) (2) if you want to say -drop- if a condition is true (say
variable is "a"), then you type "drop if variable=="a" with double equal signs.  The trick is to work
with single and double quotes (see -help quotes-). When Stata evaluates your expression, it see the
first set of double quotes in ""text" and sees the extra double quote (after the word "text") as an
unmatched pair.  If you put single left and right hand quotes around this expression then it will work.

Here's an example:

*---------------------------BEGIN EXAMPLE
clear
input str8 var
 `""text"'
 "text"
  end

 g flag = strpos(var, `"""')
drop if flag>0

**or to just get rid of the quotes:
clear
input str8 var
 `""text"'
 "text"
  end

replace var = subinstr(var, `"""', "", .)

~ Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute