st: RE: thanks and a comment

Subject   st: RE: thanks and a comment
Date   Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:32:43 +0100

<>

"... reading the appropriate sections of the manual is a very good (if not
mandatory) idea."

And it has become so much easier with the ingenious pdf manuals in 11: All
at your fingertips. I do have all the physical manuals sitting on my shelf.
Recently, a colleague of mine remarked how unused they looked. And it is
true: My consumption of manual content has gone up an estimated 40% since
the pdfs have been around, yet all I ever look at is the electronic manuals.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lachenbruch,
Peter
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 18:30
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: thanks and a comment

I've been intending to send an e-bouquet of roses to the frequent
contributors to this list who do a tremendous amount of work for the rest of
us.

These would include Nick Cox, Maarten Buis, Martin Weiss, Kit Baum, Steve
Samuels and the Stata Staff.

The comment is that about a year or so ago, Nick commented that one should
(re)read the User's Guide about once a year.  I took the advice and learned
a lot.  Recently, I was doing some graphics programming and embarked on
reading the Graphics manual.  That was an eye-opener to me.  I suspect that
when one is working on any particular problem/command, reading the
appropriate sections of the manual is a very good (if not mandatory) idea.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University