Re: st: BCa bootstrap CIs: must I jackknife the entire sample?

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: BCa bootstrap CIs: must I jackknife the entire sample?
Date   Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:41:53 +0000

As no-one has replied i'll attempt to wrap this up myself for the sake
of posterity, based on a bit of further reading and a little further
thought:

I now think there's no point calculating acceleration factors in a
sample this large and i'm safe to use bias-corrected (BC) confidence
intervals rather than bias-corrected and accelerated (BCa) CIs.

The acceleration factor 'a' is a second-order correction that goes as
1/sqrt(N), and with N=50000  the acceleration factor is of the order
of 1/sqrt(50000) = 1/224, which is too small to matter.

I was also confused about the role of skewness. The skewness of the
jackknife estimates is used in computing the acceleration factor 'a'.
But the fact that a bootstrap distribution is noticeably skew doesn't
mean a bias-corrected and accelerated (BCa) confidence interval would
differ noticeably from a bias-corrected (BC) interval, though it does
mean that BC, BCa and percentile-based intervals will all differ
noticeably from a normal-approximation interval, and the latter would
have poor coverage.

Roger.