st: RE: Slow Stata

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Slow Stata
Date   Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:35:20 +0800

I have a similar problem.

Stata 11IC, Windows 7 64 bit, 4GB RAM
MS Word 2007

I can't be sure, but it seems to me that this has only been apparent in
the last couple of weeks.
Also I don't think that it's necessarily a Word/Stata interaction
problem.  I've noticed that when I have a few programs open (Stata,
Ultraedit, Acrobat, etc) everything is OK, but if I open Word,
everything starts running painfully slow.

I'm wondering if it's being caused by a recent update from Microsoft.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Simon
Sent: Thursday, 11 February 2010 4:38 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Slow Stata

Dear Statalist

Whenever I use Stata while MS Word is open I find typing in the do file
editor becomes excruciatingly slow. When I close Word normal service is
resumed. I have searched around for solutions but to no avail.

I am on Stata 11MP, Windows 7 64 bit, 8Gb ram.

Incidentally, I also notice a slight degradation in performance when
Word and Notepad are open and I am typing in Notepad - although not to
the same extent as that seen in Stata - suggesting this is not Stata
specific.

Has anyone else here experienced similar and also found a cure? My
apologies for bothering Statalist with what is most likely not a
Stata-specific issue.

Simon