Re: st: RE: Tracing dofile execution

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Tracing dofile execution
Date   Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:28:38 -0600

<>
On Feb 9, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> <>
>
> To be honest, I cannot see what the -program- adds to Stata in terms of
> functionality - you can -trace- the execution of a do-file. I am sure I am
> overlooking something...

Also,  the -set trace- help file already includes options for modifying the depth and hiliting.

Anyways, to answer your question, this won't work in OSX.
The copy command in OSX is "cp" and has different options than DOS's "/y /a".
(There is a "copy" command but it's not a file copy command, it's for kernal copying.))

The "cp" command doesnt append files together before the copy, as is the case in
the DOS version of "copy".  There's probably other *nix commands to do this, but it might be a better
idea if you can write them all into the same file from Stata using -file write-.  Or you could add them together
first using something similar to "appendfile" (from SSC).
If you could get the OSX version of "cp" to do what you need, you could write a platform specific command
for each OS, something like:

if "`c(os)'" == "Windows" {
!copy "`top'"+"`using'"+"`bottom'" "`c(sysdir_personal)'dotemp.ado" /y /a
}

if "`c(os)'" == "MacOSX" {
!cp  "`top'"+"`using'"+"`bottom'" "`c(sysdir_personal)'dotemp.ado" -R
*( you'd need to explore the help file for "cp" to see if it could append the files first)
}

~Eric

__
Eric A. Booth