Re: st: Attempt to summarize how to avoid a forbidden regression with -IVREG2-, and some questions to ask

From   Kelvin Tan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Attempt to summarize how to avoid a forbidden regression with -IVREG2-, and some questions to ask
Date   Sat, 6 Feb 2010 08:17:15 +1000

Hi All,

Sorry for posting this message again as I am not sure if this mesage
has been properly posted.

Thanks for Austin's advice. I would like to ask another question in
regard to Weak identification test (Kleibergen-Paap rk Wald F
statistic).

I tried Method 1 as follows,

*----Begin Code---------------
regress y2 on all excluded Instruments, included instruments from y1
equation, time dummies  ( but excluding y1 endogeneous dependent
variable).
predict y2hat, xb
gen y2hatsquared=y2hat^2

*xlist is a list of predictors for y1

xi:ivreg2 y1 (y2  y2^2 = excluded instruments  y2hatsquared) xlist,
cluster(id) gmm2s endog(y2 y2^2)
*------End Code ------------------------

Is Kleibergen-Paap rk Wald F statistic valid to test for weak
instruments as there are two endogenous variables in the equation (y2
and y2^2)?

Can anyone advise me what to do next if Kleibergen-Paap rk Wald F
statistic=6.298 (see Results 1) is smaller than 5% maximal IV relative
bias of 11.04? Should I repeat this analysis with LIML or CUE
estimator (see Results 2) as they are more robust to weak instruments.

Results 1:
Underidentification test (Kleibergen-Paap rk LM statistic):             13.633
                                                  Chi-sq(3) P-val =    0.0035
Weak identification test (Kleibergen-Paap rk Wald F statistic):          6.298
Stock-Yogo weak ID test critical values:
                                         5% maximal IV relative bias    11.04
                                        10% maximal IV relative bias     7.56
                                        20% maximal IV relative bias     5.57
                                        30% maximal IV relative bias     4.73
                                        10% maximal IV size             16.87
                                        15% maximal IV size              9.93
                                        20% maximal IV size              7.54
                                        25% maximal IV size              6.28
Source: Stock-Yogo (2005).  Reproduced by permission.
NB: Critical values are for Cragg-Donald F statistic and i.i.d. errors.
Hansen J statistic (overidentification test of all instruments):         0.968
                                                  Chi-sq(2) P-val =    0.6163
-endog- option:
Endogeneity test of endogenous regressors:                               9.223
                                                  Chi-sq(2) P-val =    0.0099
Regressors tested:    y2 y2^2

Results 2:
based on LIML or CUE:
Weak identification test (Kleibergen-Paap rk Wald F statistic):          6.298
Stock-Yogo weak ID test critical values: 10% maximal LIML size            4.72
                                        15% maximal LIML size            3.39
                                        20% maximal LIML size            2.99
                                        25% maximal LIML size            2.79
Source: Stock-Yogo (2005).  Reproduced by permission.
NB: Critical values are for Cragg-Donald F statistic and i.i.d. errors.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,
Kelvin