Re: st: power calculations

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: power calculations
Date   Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:31:34 +0000

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM, louise hornstrup
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear listers,
>
> I am doing two diffent studies, using Stata 11. The first is a cross-sectional study (n=42,298), the second a case-control study (n1=4,851/n2=4,851).
>
> I am looking at a specific genotype with a frequency of 0.6% in both studies (variable of interest), the endpoint is IHD (Ischemic Heart Disease).  I have some difficulties with the power calculations. I want to estimate the minimal value (odds ratio) that can be detected with 80% power for both studies...But what is the right way to do this in Stata? As far as I can tell the sampsi command can+determine power or sample size - not minimal detectable effect size?

Its not a Stata solution but you may also find the excellent Genetic
Power Calculator by Shaun Purcell and colleagues of use...

Purcell S, Cherny SS, Sham PC. (2003) Genetic Power Calculator:
design of linkage and association genetic mapping studies of complex
traits. Bioinformatics, 19(1):149-150.

http://pngu.mgh.harvard.edu/~purcell/gpc/

You can of course script (in Perl, Python [your choice of scripting
language]) repeated queries to the server for a range of parameters to
give a better view of the power of your sample than a single point
estimate.

Although of course knowing the power your sample has to detect
different effect sizes isn't particularly enlightening and is kind of
back to front as you should estimate your effect size from published
studies/pilot studies and recruit an appropriately sized cohort to
detect the estimated effect.  If you've already done your study and
not found any association calculating the effect size your sample has
sufficient power to detect is not a good idea. A couple of references
on this are below, but there are more out there.

Hoenig J.M., Heisey D.M. (2001) The Abuse of Power: The Pervasive
Fallacy of Power Calculations for Data Analysis. The American
Statistician 55:19-24

Levine M, Ensom MH (2001) Post hoc power analysis: an idea whose time
has passed? Pharmacotherapy 21.4:405-409

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/