RE: st: re: mean2

To   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: re: mean2
Date   Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:23:13 -0500

At 08:22 AM 1/28/2010, Nick Cox wrote:
1. I gather from what Roy says that a fixed version of -mean2- will
shortly appear on SSC, that acknowledges the use of my -sxpose- and also
attributes it to me. Contrary to any impression gathered otherwise,

As a side note, I think it is a little risky to rely on calling someone else's program like this. Stata is good about keeping things working under version control. But, Nick or some other author might decide to make some change in their program some day that would inadvertently break the program that calls it. A common scenario is when someone comes up with a new version of the program that requires Stata 11; or, they might change the names of returned values without realizing they are causing grief for you.

It might be better to copy the code almost verbatim into your own program. Before doing that, I would suggest (a) you get permission first, and (b) provide proper acknowledgment if permission is given. If nothing else, just telling the author you call their program might make them more careful about making changes that could unnecessarily/ inadvertently break your program.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam