st: svy: confidence interval using subpop vs. cross-tabulation

From   Manuel Hetzel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: svy: confidence interval using subpop vs. cross-tabulation
Date   Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:22:19 +0100

Hi. When I calculate proportions of a binary outcome (0, 1) using

  svy , subpop (if region == 1) : tab outcome , ci
  svy , subpop (if region == 2) : tab outcome , ci
  svy , subpop (if region == 3) : tab outcome , ci
  svy , subpop (if region == 4) : tab outcome , ci

(where region takes the values 1-4 for four different geographical regions)

I get different CIs from when I cross-tabulate outcome and region:

  svy : tab outcome region , col ci

although I assumed that the CI should be for the column, i.e. the region. The proportions are obviously the same, as is the CI for the total population.

(I use "tab" rather than "proportion" in order to assure my CI stays within the limit 0,1.)

Could anybody explain me the reason for the different CIs and which one would be the appropriate estimation?

Thank you,
Manuel