RE: st: AW: problem with -return macro-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: problem with -return macro-
Date   Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:16:57 -0000

My interpretation is that Jeph's problem is entirely a matter of
-display- being required to evaluate an expression. The difference
between

. di r(test)

. di "`r(test)'"

is subtle, but bites here. In the first case, -display- is required to
do the work of evaluating r(test), regardless of the absence of an
equals sign. In the second case, the value of r(test) is substituted
before it is passed to -display- and the limit of 244 characters does
not bite. (See -help limits- for a list of limits.)

Both Jeph and Martin seem to realise this, but a one-paragraph summary
may be helpful to others.

Martin Weiss

Sorry, you are right. I mistook the output from the repeated -display-s
for
the returned value. But the truncation did come from limits imposed by
-display-, not from the returned value itself, right?